• All members of The BPPA regardless of their location worldwide and other professional press photographers based in the UK are welcome to enter.
• Please make sure your subscription is up to date, to check, you should login to your member profile on the website www.thebppa.com
• For BPPA Members, entry is free. Entry fees for non-members must be paid using the PayPal link for a one-off fee of £25.
• The Young Photographer category is free to enter, but the photographer must be either in full time education on an appropriate course e.g., photojournalism/editorial based course or is working as a photographer.
• One entry per photographer, per category only. Each category entry should contain six images or 10 in the essay categories.
• Entries will consist of pictures taken between January 01, 2022 and December 31, 2022.
• Closing date for entries is Sunday 22th January 2023.
• The category winners and overall winner will be announced via The BPPA website and social media channels on Friday 3rd February 2023.
• By entering the competition, you confirm that it is your own original work and a license to publish in relation to the competition must be granted by the copyright owner in order for the images to be considered.
• Submitted photographs must carry basic caption information, who, what, where, when in the metadata of the JPEG file. It should also carry the camera original digital metadata (IPTC). This will confirm the date the picture was taken for the judges.
• Once entry submission has closed all The BPPA members will be asked to vote on each category. One member, one vote. The winning entrant will be the one with the most member votes in each category.
• The winner of each category will then go forward to a vote by a panel of The BPPA board to decide who becomes The BPPA Press Photographer of the Year. Any board member who is shortlisted will not be given a vote.
• The category winners will each receive a trophy. There will be a highly commended in each category.
• The overall winner will also receive The BPPA Press Photographer of the Year trophy.
• Images must not be altered in any way that alters the integrity of the original photograph. No element should be digitally added to or subtracted from any photograph. Only retouching by the use of the cloning tool or similar to eliminate dust and scratches is acceptable. HDR photography is not acceptable. The BPPA reserve the right to ask potential finalists for their original file to ensure these rules are adhered to.
• By entering you grant The BPPA rights to publish and use each entry to promote the competition. This may be in an online gallery, feature in a national / regional newspaper and associated web sites. It may be used to promote a similar future competition. It may be used for promotion of the competition free of charge.
• Your picture may be exhibited as part of any BPPA exhibition in print or online.
• By entering, all entrants agree to abide by each and all of these terms and conditions.
The BPPA reserves the right to exclude entrants.
The BPPA Board reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions.